Poisonous hay striped beetles
Treatment is aimed at reducing further toxin absorption, improving hydration status, correcting electrolyte abnormalities and reducing pain. The use of some products may not be legal in your state or country. A casual or quick observation could miss beetles being present. This finding presented the first known example of chemical defense among birds.
Horse owners warned of toxic striped blister beetles - Habitat For Horses
The severity of the reaction, ranging from temporary poisoning, to reduced digestive ability, to death, depends upon the amount of cantharidin ingested and the size and health of the animal. What does a blister beetle look like? The technical description for blister beetle toxicity is canthanridin intoxication. Blister beetle numbers increase dramatically following a dry summer with high grasshopper populations. We have found West coast Alfalfa to be safest.
LSU AgCenter Bookmark
August 13, If you suspect that your horse has been poisoned by blister beetles, contact your veterinarian immediately. In addition to its high toxin content, striped blister beetles tend to congregate in large clusters along field margins rather than more spread out. The beetles produce a compound called cantharidin, which remains toxic in alfalfa hay for at least four to five years after harvesting. Treatment is important to improve the prognosis for a favorable outcome.
Both Kaufman and Swinker said not to use insecticide on alfalfa to kill blister beetles before harvest. Adult beetles generally do not appear in the first cutting of alfalfa. They also use"nanisani" as a name for the poisonous Ifrita bird. Poisoning symptoms usually appear within hours and include irritation and inflammation of the digestive and urinary tract, colic, and straining during frequent urination. After finding an egg mass, blister beetle larvae become immobile and spend the rest of their developmental time as legless grubs. Depending on the species, a small number of beetles can result in toxicity. The insects have earned their name because they can cause blisters on the skin of humans and in the mouths of animals.